Warming to Stay – Carbon Monoxide Kills.

Last week, I was shocked to see a TV special about the difference between the rich and the poor in New Jersey. It is not only difficult for young students to cope with poverty. No, I was angry at a young man when he showed the journalist how to heat a fire without a fire. He caused the family to light up all the furnaces and to keep the oven open. Not only is this a fire hazard for the family, but the family is also at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The journalist did not comment on the possible danger to the family. In the business newspaper, the journalist stated that they did not want to change the story by helping the participants. But this whole family could have died.

Last January and early February, the sub-tropical cold, many mundane fires, set fireplaces and fireplaces to sleep at home. The cold vibration, along with unsafe heating practices, exposes many to carbon monoxide in the United States. Over the past five years, more than 2500 people have been hospitalized and 140 have died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Minnesota. As an MN REALTOR, I try hard to make my clients aware of any potential hazards in any home. Carbon monoxide (CO) is regulated by home inspectors. It's a question on Minnesota homeowners whether a CO filter is installed. Why is this gas so important to detect? CO is especially dangerous because it is not known by sight or smell. You must have at least one CO filter in your home to protect your family. It can save your life.

So what is carbon monoxide and where does it come from?

It is like carbon monoxide when burning coal, wood, natural gas and propane. This gas has no odor because it cannot be seen. CO gas exhaust gases come out and do not store in the home that is properly ventilated. But even with unsupervised appliances, blinds or attached garages, and even heavy smoke, it can cause CO increases when there is no proper ventilation. The risk of poisoning is high when houses are tightly packed with nutrients.

How do I know if I'm exposed to carbon monoxide?

Sad about CO poisoning & # 39; s Many people will die or become seriously ill because they think they will get the flu. The first symptoms are the same: nausea, headaches, fatigue. When a person is seriously exposed, there is confusion. This, combined with a serious depression, often causes the victim or person to sleep without knowing that they are poisoned, since they cannot think straight.

There are simple and cheap ways to protect your family from this deadly poison. It's time to take these steps!

** Don't let a fire burn in your oven or drink.

** Do not use your stove, size, oven or dryer as a heat source.

** Never leave the car open for heating in your car.

** Drink outside in your home or garage.

** Check with a qualified professional by a qualified fire extinguisher and other gas appliances and ensure all equipment is adequately ventilated.

** Ensure that your air vents and chimneys are not blocked by cages or other debris.

** Buy and store high-carbon carbon monoxide detectors within 10 feet of each bedroom in your home.

May In January 2007, a new law was introduced requiring all new homes and apartments to have carbon monoxide detectors within 10 feet of each room. Existing homes need to have existing apartment buildings in 2008 and existing buildings.

Wait for your state to pass laws. This rule applies only to Minnesota books because many people have died unnecessarily. Protect yourself and your family by purchasing a alarm clock. It's one of the best gifts you can give to people you love for less than $ 40.

Copyright 2007 Teri Eckholm